Saturday, August 29, 2009

Monitor Internet Usage

Internet Meter

Simple Internet Meter is my new bandwidth monitor. After my program CS Fire Monitor came out years ago I had many requests for added features. Many of those features where not possible to add using the Windows API. Such as seeing what is internet traffic and what is local network traffic. The only way to accomplish this is to look at the packet data. So I made this program using WinPcap and PacketX.dll.

As many of the users know from my other work I am a performance nut. I try to have my programs run fast and clean all the while taking as little out of the system as possible. I put extra effort into Simple Internet Meter to make sure it does its job without affecting the system in anyway. The program will auto clean its used memory any time the memory usage goes above 10 mb. The program is designed to run 24/7.

A great feature I included was the ability for other programs to read the current data from the program. Such as a screen saver. I wrote a screen saver and is included with the program. I included the source code for the screen saver (VB 6) so other programmers can see how to work with Simple Internet Meter. The reason I added this was so other programmers can make their own programs read from it. You may ask besides a screen saver what other program would need this info? Well some new keyboards are coming out with LCD screens and such so one good example is a program to display the stats to that LCD screen. If you have written a program to work with Simple Internet Meter please contact me and let me know, I will be more than happy to post a link as along as the program is safe to use.

Features Of Simple Internet Meter.

There are many features I have included in the program. Many of them by user request. To get a good run through of the features make sure to watch the video linked on this page to see what it can do.
Many screenshots and pictures of the program are located in the help file as well.
Below is a list of just some of the features.

* Monitor Internet Traffic.
* Monitor Local Network Traffic.
* Monitor a range of ports.
* Set and keep track of a Bandwidth Quota, This is a perfect tool for people on a capped limit from their ISP.
* Extra Stats monitor to show how many programs and ports are open using the network connection.
* Keep logs of Daily & Hourly internet and local traffic.
* Auto save any report to a file.
* Easily change the colors to fit your style and taste.
* Set an alarm when your quota is reached.
* Auto reset Quota usage
* Resize the monitors to make then very small and transparent, keeping them out of the way
* Blend to desktop mode makes the monitors blend to your desktop.
* Ghost mode makes the monitors click through.
* System tray icon can be animated to show internet or local traffic.
* Open network connections and Windows firewall settings from the right click menu of the tray icon. (This makes getting to these areas much easier in Vista and Windows 7)
* Repair and view Network Information from the right click menu.
* View Detailed Netstats, showing what ports are being used and by what program.
* And much more. Download

0 comments:

 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe